Wednesday, September 8, 2021

SAQA Benefit Auction 2021

For the 12th year in a row I have donated a piece for the SAQA Benefit Auction, a fund-raising event for SAQA which is extremely important for the organization's financing. This auction starts this coming Friday, and that is "Diamond Day", you can purchase any piece you want for $ 1000, the bidding from top down then begins later. Please refer to the website here for the exact procedure.

As always, I wanted to select a 'Dream Collection', but, again as always, I am a bit late with this, so I am not putting it through the SAQA-website, but publishing it here. This year the rules for a dream collection allowed for 8 pieces. As I was looking through dream collections already assembled I realized: Blue had been done (although with different titles, but at least two!), cats had been done, faces had been done, places had been done... it was getting a bit difficult to decide on a theme! In the end I decided to do one that could theoretically include my piece: text on the quilt, with a meaning contributing to the quilt as such.

So here is my Dream Collection 2021:

 

Jette Clover, Celebration

Debo Hysak, She said

 

Denise Konicek, Flight of Idea(l)s

 
Karena Nelson, Communication Skills

The Pixeladies, What's the Point of White Pencils Only?

Susan Rienzo, Untold Story

Susan Shie, Stacey Abrams Rock Haiku

Anne Solomon, The Second Amendment didn't mean this

There are only few more pieces that could have gone into this selection, out of the more than 400 pieces only a dozen or so are using text as a message, although there are a couple of pieces that use fabric with printed text on them. Originally I thought I would be bold and include my own piece in my dream collection - after all, I must be convinced about it to donate it for a cause like this - however, I found 8 pieces that can make up an entire collection as such, so mine is not an official competitor. But I can show it here once more, after all, it would be nice if it got sold for the benefit of SAQA.

Uta Lenk, text messages 28

And, of course, any of the others above, too.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Uta. I just recieved your exceptional quilt and absolutely LOVE it! I know you had wished yours would be a Diamond Day win, but I cherish it as if it was. Your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete