September 2010 to September 2011 Kathleen Loomis and I did a joint art project,
„Daily Mail“, which we have both written about on other occasions (my reports, included you will find a link to Kathy's blog).
Both of us
agree that it was one of the best (collaborative) art projects we have ever
been involved in. Despite the fact that we both knew it was good to stop after
a year, when it ended, I went through a period of severe mourning – which might
well have been increased by the fact that the end of the project coincided with
my son’s entering school, yet another significant end of a period, but a great
part of the feeling down was certainly affiliated with the end of Daily Mail.
In any case, I decided to put together a documentation so that both of us would
have something to hold in our hands and look at.
I started a
file in InDesign, divided the pages up for six spaces that would show the
pictures, calculated the size of table and spacing for text passages, and set
to work, copying the pictures, the little texts. One day started with Kathy’s
pictures, followed by mine, and the next day started with my pictures, so that
would minimize the number of times I had to change back and forth between the
different folders that I had saved our messages in.
|One page of the documentation, November|
I planned to do about half
an hour to an hour every day. By the beginning of November I realized that it
would take forever, and that I certainly would not be finished by Christmas as
I had originally planned. So as a kind of ‘place holder’ I chose one picture by
each of us for every week of the year and ordered a memory game in two printed
copies, which I gave to Kathy for Christmas.
|A look into the memory game box|
I played it
with my family a few times, and it has been a dear keepsake since. By the
beginning of June 2012 (or was it Christmas 2012 already? I can’t remember) I
had finally finished the first half of the ‘big documentation’, up until March
15. That had been the ‘final date’ in our original agreement, when we did not
yet know how well we were going to like it. Small catastrophes such as that I
couldn’t find the texts of my messages from weeks xy to xz were overcome
through Kathy’s reliable help, she would resend message texts from me,
sometimes pictures of hers. By then the file had grown to over 120 pages, and
would not fit into a single pdf-file. At least my computer did not want to do
it, so I decided to save every page as a separate pdf-file, which I then took
to the printer, as I don’t own a color printer myself.
printout was shipped, the other half still remained to be done - and the good
intention to keep going right away seemed to have been put into that package
that went across the Atlantic. After all, we
had continued the project for another six months (minus a few weeks when we met
in the States and/or were traveling without internet access), so there was almost
just as much to do still. I did get started on the second half pretty soon, but
pretty soon after that it sort of got stuck.
early in the year (this year – 2014! three years after the conclusion of the
project!) Kathy asked whether she could come and visit us for a few days in
July, I resolved that I would definitely finish this documentation in time for
that visit. Again I set to work, bravely faced more of the minor catastrophes –
why on earth had I not saved my messages all through August? Over and over
again I had to retrieve pictures of Kathy’s from my e-mail archives. During the
time of computer change on my part I had lost three days’ worth of pictures
from my side. Again, in all these instances, Kathy proved a reliable partner
and supplied whatever it was I needed.
process took much longer than I had possibly imagined. Had I known, how much
time I would spend on it, I probably would have refrained from starting on it
in the first place. But here Kathy was scheduled to arrive on July 1, and I
would be gone to Berlin
the few days immediately before that – I just needed to get it out of my
And I did.
I came up with a title page,
took the CD to the printer two days before I left
for Berlin, picked it up on the morning of July 1,
and could finally declare
this project finished and hand over the missing part to Kathy as her birthday
|Kathy arrives at Munich airport - |
after I had picked up the finished documentation!
will now have to look for a place where I can get it bound professionally.
Because this stack of printouts needs a really good binding job done. And then
this UFO will finally be FO.
After all that, Kathy and I had a wonderful four days.
|Kathy, already taking pictures before jet lag set in|