Wednesday, November 9, 2016

On a day like this...

After Britain's Brexit vote earlier this year, which really threw me completely, I had already learned that it did not make a whole lot of sense to hope for the best, that reason would prevail where political issues are involved these days. And although I tried to keep a little bit of hope alive, all the ups and downs during the last few weeks had long since left me convinced that the outcome of the American elections would be as unpleasant as it indeed turned out to be. Perhaps I hadn't quite expected the totality of the result, but I had not really had much hope left that it could be avoided. So when my husband greeted me this morning with "he's got it", it was only a confirmation of the expected. America, what have you done? I know it was the choice between plague and cholera that you had to take, but did you really have to choose this one?

And on my way to teach indeed it seemed a bit as if the world was in tears as well.


A little bit further along, there even was a bit of beauty left to be found.



By the time I had finished my three hours of morning class even the sun had broken through.


Although it didn't last long... I received packages from Margaret Ramsay and Kathy Loomis with their quilts for the International Threads exhibition that is opening day after tomorrow, and which Barbara Lange and I are going to be hanging tomorrow.


In Kathy's parcel there also was a promise, as my family is one of the lucky and happy recipients of her famous annual Christmas ornaments, which were included in the package. But I haven't opened that little bag yet, keeping a bit of suspense for better days.


Christmas ornaments, yet to be opened.

And in the evening I also received a huge bouquet of flowers from the SAQA board, as a thank you for my years as Regional Rep. Which certainly helped to brighten up the day even a bit more.


So where will we be in a year from now? Who knows...

2 comments:

  1. Yes. I've decided to read books, enjoy the beauty of nature, and make more art for the next 4 years. I 2ant to avoid the news as much as possible, since it is bad. I can also continue to do volunteer work to help those who this demagogue we elected will try to hurt. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie, I think taking some sort of 'grassroot-action' is the best way of dealing with the situation. And as I have been experiencing throughout the last year in my involvement with the refugees - it is so heart-warming and enriching to get to know these people. Perhaps that's the way to go, against the tide, from bottom up, in touch with people...

      Delete