Sunday, March 3, 2019

Workshop at my favorite teaching location

Once or twice a year I get to teach a workshop at a location which is the absolute heaven to teach. We get a large room, every participant has ample table space, the rooms for sleeping are comfortable, clean and just a few steps away from the class room, and we get three full meals a day without having to turn a finger. We can sew until the middle of or even through the night if we want to.
This weekend was the first workshop for this year, and I have just returned and unpacked the car.
By now the group that attends the workshop is a pretty stable community. This time I negotiated for 20 participants, and 18 had already attended several times before. Friendships have formed, and sometimes it feels as if they don't really need me to teach them much anymore. They all just like to get together and sew.
We do have a topic under which the workshop is publicized, but that is not necessary for them to come. They just sign up. Sometimes they just bring their own work and enjoy the company.
These are some of the results from this past weekend.



This could have been a preparation for the weekend in October,
when we are going to do 'Scraps, scraps, scraps'




I had also taken my last two boxes of hand-dyed fabrics that were still left from the dyeing business, and I came home with less than one box. These are the last pieces of fabric from that period in my life. And as they are mostly yellow, I might just declare them 'mine' now. I will have to tell the web designer to take certain parts of the website down to update the website to the current state of my quilting life.


The weekend had started on a bit of an awkward note, though. I was very late in packing up my boxes and putting them into the car - and when I had driven half the way I realized that I had forgotten to pack my own sewing machine. Now I don't REALLY need a machine to teach a workshop. But I know that this group is so self-reliant that I will get chances to do a bit of sewing myself, so I wanted to have the machine. Fortunately, a friend from my town was also coming, and she was leaving later than I was, so I could call my husband and ask him to take the machine to her house so she could bring it. However, that will be something he will tell me for several years to come. "Did you bring your machine home?" was the first thing he asked me when I came back...

No comments:

Post a Comment