Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Success!

After two futile attempts at making a mini-quilt 12” by 12” for the SAQA Benefit Auction 2014 (as posted here and here) I finally managed to stay within in the size limitations!
I had finished piecing Shapes 18, which will be one of the five smaller pieces I am making for the exhibition in Alfeld, Germany, in Ocotober, and as I was ironing a piece of blue fabric which was to become the binding my eyes fell upon this – in one of my approximately forty boxes of fabrics which happened to be in front of my eyes:

Four green cut-out squares, waiting for their life to start

That struck a chord, and together with a few cut-out circles that were still left from Shapes 18, I immediately started on this arrangement.

Perfect size arrangement!


 A bit of trying out background fabrics, but I did not choose this one:


Here you can see the backside, partically quilted:

Shapes 19, in the process of being quilted

Because I, too, want to have a post on the regional SAQA-blog, which will be hosting The Grand Gallery of SAQA Europe/Middle East’s contributions to the Benefit Auction later in the year, I am not publishing more pictures of the process, nor of the finished piece here/yet, but will let you know when the post is up on the regional blog.

This labor of love has reminded me of why I joined gallerribba – the gallery for "small art for the wall". I have been meaning to set myself the task of making at least one small quilt every month to increase my body of small works displayed on the site. And I definitely should try to live up to that. But working towards the exhibition at Fagus Werke in October is taking up so much energy... This one can't go on the gallerribba-site anyway - but March has only now started. Perhaps it will be possible to do one 12" x 12" every month for the remainder of the year? It's never to late to set a rule according to good or useful intentions. Let's see how this one works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment