Monday, May 2, 2011

Daily Oak, April report

April Statistics
Number of days missed: 18
Number of days with more than one visit: 5 (to make up for all those days missed...)
Number of visits with more than the two standard perspectives taken: 10
Guest trees (all on another continent): 13
Total number of pictures taken: 62

When I started the project of Daily Oak in January I did not yet know that I would be gone for the longest part of this month, as plans for my trip to the US only developed after I had begun taking the pictures. Of course, the almost three weeks that I was gone were crucial in the tree’s cycle of the year as this is the time when the leaves start coming out, which had not started to show at all when I left. (So I have already thought that I might have to continue the project until beginning of May next year to catch that particular part of the season... we’ll see.) However, oaks seem to take their time with putting out their leaves, because, as it turns out, they were not quite as far developed as I had thought they would be upon my return. So here are a few pictures from the month with the fewest visits/days so far.

This was the status of foliage on the day I left, when we stopped by at the tree on our way to the airport:

Perspective a: April 8, 8:23 a.m.
And this is how it looked on the evening of the day we returned:

Perspective a: April 28, 5:27 p.m.

Throughout the month I took several trips to the tree at some time between 1 and 2 p.m. and would like to show how the environment/sky differs on each visit:

Dramatic clouds, perspective a, April 1, 1:36 p.m.
Rather dark in the middle of the day:
perspective a, April 4, 1:53 p.m.
Bright sunshine, perspective a, April 7, 1:19 p.m.
Hazy, slightly greener, and with a plane's trail:
perspective a, April 29, 1:25 p.m.
 And just to prove that I did continue taking shots from perspective b: 

Sunset, perspective b, April 4, 7:32 p.m.

Guest trees will be featured together with March guests in a later post, but I want to show my two favorite ones here.
I managed to hit the peak of dogwood season in North Carolina, my absolute favorite time of the year there, and took pictures of dogwood trees all around.

Guesttree: Flowering Dogwood in
Greensboro, North Carolina, April 10
And when we went to the beach I found the remnants of a Christmas tree in the dunes which had been decorated with shells and obviously left there for others to enjoy. I’m glad I took this picture on the day we arrived, because the tree was taken apart by other people only a few days later.

Christmas remnant,
Outer Banks, North Carolina, April  16

 PS: the backside for March - taken on April 2:


No comments:

Post a Comment