Sunday, July 24, 2022

Nature Award Nominee?

The other day I awoke after a hot and rather restless night with just a memory of a snippet of a dream hovering in my mind. I had been told that “o(round)moon” had been nominated for the Nature Award

 


No clue who was giving this award, where this would have happened – nor did I find out whether anything came of the nomination in the end. Of course, this lingered, because I don’t frequently remember my dreams.

The quilt was made for SAQA’s exhibition “text messages” several years ago, traveled with that exhibition for three years and is, I have to admit, one of my all-time favorite makes. It has been quite a while since I made it (2013!), and it must have been on my mind because of a new project I have started with Barbara Lange, 


 

which in turn made me remember the important role this particular quilt plays in the conception of my series “text messages”. 

When making it, I realized that several quilts that had gone before also had a topic of text messages. This one, although it was the first one to actually receive the title “text messages” was no. 8 in a whole “new” series!

I am currently also turning ideas in my head about the piece for the next 20 Perspectives’ challenge, which has the broadly stated topic ‘nature’. 



 

Quite possible that’s how the whole combination came about. I will include o(rounD)moon in the exhibition I have here in my town in October. And quite possibly the Nature-inspired one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment