Sunday, August 8, 2021

Rebooting, some more.

 Thursday this past week was the big day.

View from our window towards the sunrise, only in summers,
because the window is pointing north. But this was taken a day
before - it was raining cats and dogs on the big day.


The final part of my exam procedures, a three-hour practical exam with a set list of nursing/caretaking activities plus some extras, two examiners looking over your shoulder.

The staff on the ward put up a poster of encouragement for the students on that day, which I think is really nice.


My favorite picture is the elephant walking the tight-rope. I am saving that one for future reference. I had been allotted the main patient I wanted, and she was a sweet, slightly demented lady of 89 who did her best to cooperate. During the days before she had repeatedly talked about how nice it was that the sun was shining, a topic we could not peruse on that day because of the rain. Everything went well enough, although I was pretty nervous - it is such an unpleasant situation to have two examiners looking on. I don't think I made any major mistakes that would have endangered the patient's safety, I hope I disinfected my hands frequently enough, and I think I gave the impression I knew what I was doing. So although I won't know for sure until September when we will be given the grades, I think I can assume I passed. Which is all I care for right now, I just do want this period to be over. Not an easy thing to go back to school at my age, together with youngsters who could have been my (grand)children. 

 

I was welcomed at home by a bouquet of flowers from my husband, and
another one arrived by courier a day later from my good friend Regine.
Our table looks like a greenhouse now, and I am enjoying the flowers
tremendously.



Thursday afternoon I sat around for a while, letting it sink in, went for a swim at the pool. In the evening I signed up for SAQA's 'reboot' special interest group on facebook, to get me back in a creative swing of something. I had seen that they were starting early August, so I had decided to join in two days late. I have no real clue what I am doing, I just want to fondle fabrics and follow the flow. I am diving into my scrap-stash. This is how I started on Thursday. A first piece, part of which had been preassembled, but I did sew one seam on Thursday. The main act, however, was indeed the signing up and posting it.


Since then I have been taking a bit of an inventory of what kind of scraps I have, quite a few are preassembled already in a kind of tone-in-tone arrangement.


And as I had managed to put in the final weft-parts in the weaving piece I showed in the last post, I could take that off the wall, with a lot of pins involved. Now I have room to throw the scraps onto the design wall, and we will see where it will take me.



I do have more plans for the weaving piece, but that needs more thinking through.

2 comments:

  1. your first image looks like the abstract profile of someone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting you would say that - I have to admit, I don't see it...

      Delete