Sunday, February 9, 2020

My quilt is up


As I am still getting over the loss of my laptop computer and slowly reaching a solution things are happening. For example, my quilt has been put up.

When I participated in the art symposium as a textile artist two years ago in July I signed a contract that made it mandatory that I release the finished quilt to the city. It took me a bit longer to finish than merely the smposium, but it was only a couple of months after conclusion of the symosium that I handed it over. Then the issue was where would it be put up – and how will it be presented and protected – and this had to be included in the next year’s financial budget – and now it is up. I was ill on the day it was hung and have only had a chance to pass by the building, so the photo is everything but satisfying as such. And my current computer solution does not permit me any kind of photo editing, so here it is as my phone would take it, in the entrance hall of the building for the music schoon and community college.

#UDHR (text messages 18)

A tag with title, name of maker and explanation is supposed to be added soon, and then I assume there will be something like an official date with a photographer to put a picture into the paper or the city mail or something. But it is always amazing how quickly some news travel, because I patient in hospital asked me the other day, not more than one or two days after the quilt was hung (and still without the tag!) whether I was the one who had made that piece and why was I working in the hospital... Art doesn’t pay well enough I said.

But even at the hospital there are possibilities of finding something interesting. A new building is going up right next door to enlarge the hopital and two days ago this wonderful series of patterns could be seen on the construction site. The moments to catch a bit of art during working hours are few, but they do happen.



 
Today my son is jubilant as we are waiting for a storm that is coming in and school has been called off for tomorrow already. Nothing to be expected from looking at the sky this afternoon when it felt like the beginning of spring (there had been a determined little bird at 5.30 this morning singing for me when I went to work, under an almost full moon). This storm has been announced for a few days and apparently it is already pretty active further north but it felt very calm and spring like this afternoon, so I went for a walk to enjoy the sunshine while it lasted. 

the willows are budding while we are waiting for the storm

So my boy can stay home tomorrow while I will have to go to work early again. He is telling stories about how he slept through the aftermaths of a hurricane in a bathtub on the Outer Banks when he was 5 and that he probably won’t wake up from this storm either although he has absolutely no memories about that, is talking only from hearsay.We’ve closed the shutters and I am trying to remember where I put my bicycle helmet. Perhaps it might be a smart thing to wear it tomorrow when walking to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment