Monday, April 29, 2019

freed up

It is amazing what a declaration of 'finished' can do. When returning from my vacation, after I declared A Scrap a Day as finished (even though it still needs the final finishing touches such as back cover and tunnels for hanging) I also took it off the design wall. Knowing that there were still lots of other projects hidden behind that piece. I had not been aware of how much it had tied me up in my thinking. Luckily, my creative sub-conscience had been working nevertheless.
Because, lo and behold, below the scraps appeared a piece of yellow linen. That had been sold by France Patchwork at Ste. Marie-aux-Mines last September as a Concours for 'Members Only', and when it caught my eye and I almost shied back because I am not a member of the French Organisation, Catherine Bonte, the president whom I know from our meetings as International Representatives, gave me one packet for free. Adding "But you must enter!" Now, that is an obligation for sure!
Rules for the competition include that it must not have been posted about on a blog, or published in a magazine, or shown anywhere. So I am not posting about it, I am not showing photos, only a glimpse at that backside as it is right now.



I whipped this piece out in just over a week. Besides the piece of linen I had a lot of other yellow stuff lyeing around (yes, I do like yellow, and I am very glad that I am back to working in yellow after what seemed a bit of an extended phase of working in rather dark greys!) and it was a whole lot of fun throwing those pieces together.
As I said, I am not showing anything, but one of the things lyeing around was the opposite piece of my Murcat-interpretation for the 12 by the dozen challenge shown here. A few other things, such as two pieces from the Guldusi embroidery project, leftovers from trying out the narrow line technique of Kathleen Loomis and bits and pieces. Add some lyrics from music, a bit of poetry from different languages, and voilà, it is finished.
Feels like I am ready to go back to a bit of improvisational piecing. Some ideas floating around in my head, so all I need to do is make (or find) time!

No comments:

Post a Comment