Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Progress report: A Scrap a Day

Has it ever happened to you that you went to the theatre and suddenly about half way through the performance you realized that the stuff being acted out on stage was your own life in a way...? That happened to me Saturday evening, and by Sunday evening I hadn't quite recovered from that yet. But I am hoping that things will turn out better overall than they did on stage that night, because the result of the complications sure wasn't the way I would like my life to go on!
Another perturbing thing is that I have been looking for a set of notecards on which I had started with the preparations for a next quilt, in fact, the one that I would like to be working on should I really get accepted into the symposium. They have completely disappeared from the surface of the earth, I have looked in all possible places where they could have gone or been deposited. I am dead sure I would not have thrown them out. True, I can easily enlist the helpers again, who wrote those cards, they are certainly replaceable, but it would have been convenient and reassuring to find them and get deeper into the planning process. The quilt will be made, not matter whether I get into that symposium or not, but... In any case, these disturbing facts take up more of my emotional strength than I am willing to invest right now. But it can't be helped.

So here is a bit of a report on my Daily Art Project, A Scrap a Day,  yellow scraps put onto linen cut-offs.
For a few days I thought I would soon be running out suitable yellow scraps. I do have lots of yellow scraps, certainly, but many of them are rather large, or leftover pieces of strips that had been cut rather straight, which means they don't make for a particularly interesting addendum to the overall arrangement. For a very brief moment I had thought about starting a call for help, like 'send me your yellow scraps', but I soon relinquished that idea, because then I would probably be attaching yellow scraps for the rest of my life, so I am not doing that!
But then a final push towards the completion of the other long-drawn project of participation in the Baby Jane Project for the German Patchwork Guild resulted in a few more yellow scraps, some others appeared in a rediscovered box and bag, one of the big pieces proved to be worn and even ripped in a few places, basically begging for these sections to be torn off and treated as small scraps in their own right.


How much interference with the existing scraps do I allow myself? At first, at the very beginning, I thought I would just take them as they are and attach them. But as I just said - I hadn't realized that quite a few of them were rather largeish, or so straight and strip-ish. Perhaps ripping them is acceptable. I don't want to cut them with scissors or the rotary cutter because I don't want to produce scraps that look too neatly. Or may I - when I have a little spot on the linen that I would like to fill but don't have the fitting scrap to go in there...? We'll see how this develops.

A look into the scrap box, with the thread box, and quite a few things beneath...

One of the larger scraps that was left unaltered because it
had such a nice and unpredictable shape.
And two smaller ones that fit nicely into empty corners.

I am on the third piece of linen, and have counted the ones of similar color that I have. Not enough pieces to take one every month, but as you see, there are these noticeable empty spaces.


Again, I haven't decided what I will do with those. I could fill them with a snow-dyed yellow linen - scraps from a dress I had made last year - and attach blue (or purple - complementary color!) scraps to those. It is an interesting project. Keeping me more entertained than I had imagined. And it will be huge!

Going out of town tomorrow for a few days, will I just pull a few scraps out of the box without thinking ahead? Haven't started packing yet, so I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain about not being able to find something and so not being able to work up energy to start again or figure what to do instead.
    Love the scrap project. When I was doing a scrap project, i sometimes would cut a small piece, but then fray it, so it didn't look so 'cut'. But it was loose weave fabric, so that may have made it easier.

    ReplyDelete