Saturday, October 26, 2013

Stones and creativity

I am not a particularly spiritual person, and I don’t believe in esoterics. And I am not superstitious.
But I like stones, and sometimes collect them. For purely aesthetic reasons.
Either as books.



Or as cats.


Or as simple pebbles that have a white line in them.


Or as stones that I plan to use for shibori – have actually started to use them: I have done a lot of tieing in. What is missing is the dye-bath part of it all.
Or as a little totally haphazardous collection of semi-precious stones that is slowly accumulating on my window-sill.


A couple of weeks ago I ended up in a shop for pretty stones while I was waiting for a train. And I bought this Labradorit, of which the shop owner says it boosts creativity:


I have been wearing it in my trouser pockets since, and I must say it does seem to work. I have been having an almost constant flow of ideas of what kinds of quilt designs would fit for this exhibition or that challenge.

All I lack is the time to actually produce them. Although I have been working diligently. “Light Sculpture”, which is now going by a different name that will not be mentioned here just yet, is completely finished. It needed a few more corrections, and a bit of pulling in the diagonal to get it to hang properly. But right now it is up in our entrance hallway, the place where I usually audition newly finished quilts, and I really like the impression you get when coming in through the door. Soon to be sent out into the world, released into the rounds of vicious judging.
And I started work on Shapes 10 for Fagus Works.


This is based on the sketch I showed the other day which was rather incomprehensible. But it's only the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Toller Beginn Deines Quilts! Ich war in Karlsruhe fasziniert von Deiner Art, Kreise zu nähen und wollte das schon immer mal in einem Quilt ausprobieren; leider bin ich bisher nicht dazu gekommen. Ich verfolge Deine Arbeit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noch ein Tipp für Dich:
    Richard Long: In Kreisen gehen...
    https://www.google.de/search?q=richard+Long+In+kreisen+gehen&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5oBzUpr3GoqMtQa5v4CIBw&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1049&bih=823

    LG Luitgard

    ReplyDelete