Monday, February 4, 2013

Procrastinating


I always thought I am a steady worker, and I always thought that it did not really make much of a difference whether I was working under a deadline or not. In terms of efficiency and dedication, I mean – it certainly does make a difference in terms of feeling pressured and comfortable. Which is to say: I prefer working without the pressure. (Well, who doesn't.)
But I have to adjust my self-image about the efficiency. Without the real pressure of facing a deadline that calls for ‘only new quilts’ (and close to 30 m...) I am still fumbling about, doodling along. Free flow of creativity is still at a low tide point and right now I don’t see any signs that the tide is actually turning. So I am planning next weekend, when friends from my year as an exchange student will be coming to visit and celebrate our thirty-year-reunion (ugh - we're growing old), am selling my husband’s sorted out books on ebay and doing this and that. Hibernating?
I have been working on commissions which I will talk about later, when they are all finished, but apart from that...

I started teaching another beginners class at the local community college in Landshut earlier this month, and on the third evening of the class the agenda called for diagonally split squares. I usually tell the students about three different techniques for making these squares – starting from squares as such, from long strips, and what I have got to know as “fast and easy triangles”. But as I found out over several instances of demonstrating this technique, I only accumulate a certain number of these triangles without ever doing anything with them. First, because they are never enough, and secondly because I keep demonstrating with different sizes, so they don’t even match. This time, I decided that I would not fall into this trap again.


I took along my own sewing machine to class so I would be working with my own seam allowance, and not get stuck with samples from the machines in the classroom, which my come with another seam allowance.
Heavily packed - glad for the wheels under the
case for the sewing machine, though they are
only partially helpful in snow and on
cobble-stones...

And when I got home, I quickly started making a few more of the same size triangles that had been the result of the demonstration in class.


And more.


Started another UFO?
Yesterday I realized that this was a good way to tie me over, fill the need to handle fabric and hear the sound of the sewing machine, and mindlessly kept producting more and more right-angled triangle squares.
By now I have made enough squares to complete a blanket-sized quilt. All I need to do is sew them together.
Who knows what this procrastination is good for...

2 comments:

  1. This sort of constructive procrastination is good for generating unrelated but useful ideas ... the sort that you wonder "Where did that come from?" Eventually they will surface!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are exactly right, Margaret, and probably everybody has this kind of phases in their activities. It is exciting and annoying at the same time, though: exciting, because you wonder what it is all leading up to, and annoying, because you might keep thinking "shouldn't I be doing something more serious with my precioius time than just fiddling around?" And why the h... doesn't this period speed up a bit and get done with it... ;-))

    ReplyDelete