Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Done. Well - sort of...

When I went on vacation in the first 10 days of April I had packed sufficient textile projects to keep me busy for at least four weeks. After all, it could have happened that we get snowed in and ... (on the Canary Islands...)
In any case, I played catch up not only with the Daily Somethings, but with A Scrap a Day as well. And finally, two days ago - a week after I returned from my much too short vacation (I could not finish everything I had taken along!) - I put in the last embroidery stitch on the daily art project from last year. Or so I thought.
I put it up on the wall in a four-patch arrangement, took a photo and sent it to my good friend Kathleen Loomis who has been following along from the minute it began.


And I started fretting about how I would put it together. The pieces are not the same size, and I had not worked on making them the same size. But how would I get these to go together...?  Luckily, Kathy always has a good idea and is quick in her answers when needed - she suggested I just finish each of them individually. That way I could present them in various arrangements, depending on the amount of space available. Of course something needs to be done to cover up the back.


Ironing helps, of course, because it gives the pieces a different feeling.


First idea was to put them on a dark linen fabric that would give them a bit of a frame as well, besides a protective cover on the back. The curved pieces are all linen, too, so a linen back fabric seems befitting.

The brown linen would be shortened, of course.

However - right now I am not sure whether I like that as much as I liked the impression of the four pieces next to each other, but no interruptions through fabric frames. At this point I have only attempted to do it with one of the pieces. Have to sleep over this a bit, I think. Perhaps I can find a different type of linen in my stash - one precondition I have is that I want to use only a fabric that I already have. No new purchases!
Oh - and when taking the individual pieces down, I pricked myself, because there was one scrap that had only been pinned in place and not stitched yet. So those were the final hand stitches for the front.





A first reaction to Kathy's suggestion was 'oh, then I can just keep going', because I have at least another 4 or 6 of those round pieces that are calling for additions. And I have plenty of yellow scraps left, the whole project has not helped in diminishing those! But perhaps I will wait a little while before continuing on this journey. First I need to decide on the finishing touches for the ones that are completely stitched.

1 comment: