Monday, December 10, 2018

70 Years: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

As I was driving in the car this morning I listened to a short historic report on the 70th anniversary of the UDHR. I hadn't known that the committee had been chaired by Eleanor Roosevelt. So I have already learned something today.
My textile activities this year were not knowingly shaped by this anniversary. But it was my theme this year. Two quilts completed this year that explicitly use text from this declaration. One was already completed last year, though using a variation from the German constitution.

text messages 12: Die Würde des Menschen

And even although the current state of the world is not as peaceful and as harmonious as this document is setting out to make it, it gives me hope that such a document was written. Perhaps we will learn, after all. And it is worth keeping fighting for that. So I am also happy to say that a new ship of the organization Sea-Eye is already nearing Spain and will be active in Mediterranean waters. I donated to make this possible, and although I can't go an be part of the team right now, I am following their progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment