Friday, September 2, 2011

Daily Oak - August report

Number of days missed: 21
Number of days with more than one visit: 3
Number of visits with more than the two standard perspectives taken: 7
Total number of pictures taken: 47
guest trees: 11

This report marks the completion of already two thirds of the Daily Oak project. Hard to believe!
I knew in advance that I would miss quite a few days this month because we went on our family summer vacation, and after our return I took yet another four-day trip with my son, all of which kept me out of town for a total of 21 days. I did not find many interesting or impressive trees during those days – so I have only 11 guest trees.

Looking over my collection for this month I realize that I happened to be at the tree between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. four times. This gives one a good impression of how quickly the shadow moves, looking from perspective a. Here are three of the four pictures (there wasn’t really a shadow on the fourth because of an overcast sky):

August 28, 10:21 a.m.
August 23, 10:41 a.m.
August 19, 11:00 a.m.

Perspective b, on the other hand, shows clearly how the late afternoon sun passes beyond the tree top within three hours.
August  18, 4:36 p.m.
August 29, 5:05 p.m.
August 20, 7:43 p.m.
Once I got to the tree just as a small airplane was approaching the nearby local airport:

August 21, 5:00 p.m.
Knowing that I would be gone for the most part of the month of August, at the end of July, on the last visit before we left, I had taken a sort of inofficial ‘inventory’ of the wildflowers in bloom in the immediate surroundings of the tree just then. Not being a biologist in knowledge or in training, I just took pictures of all the little flowers that I could differentiate by sight and found 26 different species (one was actually not in bloom at that point, but I recognized the leaves and had seen it bloom at other places before). I have to admit that I was very much impressed with that result when I counted the pictures. At the end of the report I want to show you pictures of every fifth wildflower in the vicinity of Daily Oak.







No comments:

Post a Comment