Thursday, December 31, 2020

After 2 Weeks of Lockdown... (diary of recovery)

Yesterday, Germany had been in lockdown for 2 weeks, and already there is talk that it might be extended. For the first phase numbers of infection kept rising, recently they have gone down a bit, but within the last twice 24 hours record Highs of deaths was recorded. And the easing of restrictions for Christmas hasn't even shown yet, that will only come these days. Today's newspaper reportet that 'hospitals are full - please stay home and avoid contact'. (It's not allowed right now, anyway.)

Vaccination has started, prioritizing seniors in residences, their care takers and personnel in residences, and then later medical personnel. To be honest, I don’t understand why cleaners in hospitals, at least those who work on infectious wards, are not amongst the top prioritiy persons who are to get vaccinated early on, and with the numbers of infected personnel we have had in the hospital... anyway, I don’t want to turn into one of those people chirping in their opinion about the policies and measures. I try to be content that we are allowed to go outside for exercise, we have even had a few sunny days, and that is the best that can happen in times like this. 


The light at the end of the tunnel?
Well, it's just a look into our garden this afternoon.
(But with this picture I finally figured out how to put a few words of comment
under a picture, which I hadn't been able to figure out when blogger changed
their design.)

 

Right at the beginning of the lockdown we had yet another series of days with only low clouds while the weather forecast announced ‘sunny in higher regions’ and one day I took the car and drove into the Bavarian Forest, parked the car at the ski slope (no snow, no skiers allowed anyway) and walked up the hill, just turning my nose towards the sun.


 

Christmas has come and gone, and this would have been our Christmas card if I had got my act together to have one printed. As it was, we just sent cards showing one of my quilts, which wasn’t bad either.


So perhaps this will be our Christmas card next year...

 

Not a serious amount of stitching going on these days, but I hope to get around to quilting the piece that I made for the German Guild’s instructions. Finished the socially distanced spinning musical chairs that my spinning group  put up instead of the annual end-of-November live event. 


 

And I am knitting a sweater from handspun yarn, top down, and it even seems to fit. (Pattern by @knit.love.wool) I hope it will be finished soon, so I can start something new.


 

And, as in first lockdown, more cooking is going on. Day before yesterday I made apple strudel, which I can do pretty well, given the fact that I did not grow up in an area or family where apple strudel is a standard dish. My husband did, however, and although he always is positive about my cooking (even if I am not), he is absolutely right when he says that my apple strudel is wonderful.

When you are a professional strudel maker you pride yourself on the thinness of the dough, and I do admit that is the one thing that still could be a little more perfect. That, however, is something my husband wouldn't notice... so why bother? Definitely not something worth stressing about.
 

Let’s hope next year is full of joy and pleasure and many many personal contacts. Wishing you all a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment