Friday, February 21, 2020

Waiting and spinning...

As I am waiting for the replacement laptop to be finally prepared to be used I have only limited access to a computer. Which is not terribly hard, but an experience. It shows you how much we
depend on these items these days... And although I can do a number of things on the phone, I had taken some decisions as to what kind of things I don't want to do on the phone. For example, I don't do banking on the phone, I don't want to do blogger on it, and so I am still somewhat limited in terms of possible activities. The experience of having lost data with the stolen computer has also made me slightly more nervous about losing the phone. Perhaps I should consider doing something about online/cloud whatever in order to avoid a similar experience, only even more heartbreaking....
Anyway, I had a lovely weekend attending a workshop "Spinning Silk in all varieties".
We looked out of a roundabout glass window onto Lake Chiemsee, seeing the mountains and the lake and the boat coming and going...


 And we tried out all kinds of silk variations.

with yak


Sari silk plied onto itself






the sari silk goodies

And although my initial incentive to sign myself up for the workshop had been more to get to practice spinning techniques (figuring I would be able to get practical input from the teacher even if I were not too interested in silk as material for spinning) that soon changed. I absolutely fell in love with silk fibre for spinning. Upon my return home I  went through thread and stash boxes and rediscovered goodies from long ago which I had never really considered for spinning. There is fun and adventure ahead of me!


I have already announced that I do want a carding machine for my birthday, even though that is still a couple of months away.

But I am also stitching my piece for the South Africa Alliance, or whatever we are going to call ourselves. I have treated myself to a cone stand for the Bernina and lo and behold all thread tension issues I was having when using the large cones have disappeared. Why didn't I do so earlier?


I have survived another week of nursing school. This time around it was more the other students whom I found very taxing rather than the teachers, but there are only two more weeks left in this stretch. I practice yoga style breathing when things get too hard to bear and look forward to stitching a bit in the evenings...

No comments:

Post a Comment